Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Festival Day 4 (Wednesday 6/22)

The young lion’s party was a lot of fun last night! We were there for a while and then we found ourselves at the famous “Gutter Bar.” It was fun but trying to get a cab back to Juan Les Pins was way too hard. We waited for about an hour and finally got one for 40 euro.
            Today started a little later than the past few but we had some exciting speakers planned. Jennifer Frommer from Interscope Records was very interesting and I enjoyed hearing about her job. I think it would be a really fun job because you get to work with artists, but she seemed like the job somewhat hurt her love for music. I don’t think I would want to do her job because I want to keep music as something that I love and something that is relaxing to me.
            Shortly after, was our next speaker, David Simon, at the Majestic Hotel. The Majestic Hotel was really nice and I wonder how much it is to stay there. The food and drink provided for us were an added bonus. David Simon was absolutely crazy, but I kind of liked it. He was a little dark but it was obvious that he is a very smart person. I thought it was really interesting what he had to say about advertising in the middle of something like a TV show versus doing the advertising all at the beginning or all at the end. After talking with David Simon we got some lunch and tried to figure out where to view commercials. We never figured it out so we just went in the young lion’s zone and hung out with everyone.
            Our last speaker of the day was Allison Arden, the publisher of Advertising Age. She was very down to earth and easy to talk with. I really like how she addressed her personal responsibilities with her family and that she can still do both even in a high position. I did find it surprising that the study on ethical jobs showed advertising professionals as ranking low in ethics. I don’t agree with that, but I think that the industry should always do its best to stay professional and keep a good name for itself.
            Tonight is the much awaited Microsoft beach party! After last year’s stories, I’m sure we will all have a great time. This will be a nice, relaxed setting for networking with people in the advertising industry!
           

No comments:

Post a Comment